the seed of Chinese dodde
“Chinese Pharmacopoeia”: Dodder
Pinyin: Tú Sī Zǐ
Bean parasitic, rootless grass, yellow silk, yellow silk vine, no mother vine, golden silk
English name:SEMEN CUSCUTAE
This herb is the dried mature seeds of Cuscuta chinensis Lam. In autumn, when the fruits are ripe, the plants are harvested, dried in the sun, and the seeds are laid to remove impurities.
This herb is spherical with a diameter of 1-1.5mm. Surface gray-brown or yellow-brown, with finely protruding dots, one end with a slightly concave linear hilum. The texture is firm and not easily crushed by fingernails. Gas micro, tasteless.
Store in a ventilated and dry place.
Remove impurities, wash and dry.
Take the clean dodder and fry it according to the salt water method (Appendix II D) until it puffs up slightly. The surface of this product is brownish yellow, cracked, and has a slight aroma. After soaking in boiling water, the surface is sticky, and after decoction, yellow to tan coiled embryos can be exposed.
1) Take a small amount of this product, soak it in boiling water, the surface is sticky; when heated and boiled until the seed coat is broken, a yellow-white coiled embryo can be exposed, which is shaped like spinning silk.
2) The powder of this product is yellowish brown or dark brown. The epidermal cells of the seed coat are quasi-square or rectangular in cross-sectional view, with thickened side walls; in surface view, they are rounded and polygonal, with significantly thickened walls at the corners. Testa palisade cells in sheets, 2 rows in cross-section view, with glowing bands; surface view is polygonal shrinkage. Endosperm cells are polygonal or round-like, with aleurone grains in the cell cavity. Cotyledon cells contain aleurone grains and fatty oil droplets.
Return to the liver, kidney, spleen.
The taste is sweet and warm.
Modern Pharmacological Study of Dodder Seed
1. Dodder has the effect of enhancing immunity, and can promote humoral immunity, cellular immunity and phagocytic ability of reticuloendothelial system.
2. Dodder has a good protective effect on experimental myocardial ischemia.
3. Dodder has a therapeutic effect on hypothyroidism and can improve animal vitality.
4. Dodder has protective effect on experimental liver injury.
5. Dodder has anti-aging effect.
6. Dodder can delay the formation and treatment of cataract.
7. Dodder inhibits intestinal motility and excites the isolated uterus.
8. The preparation composed of dodder and anti-inflammatory drugs has a therapeutic effect on acne and fat-soluble dermatitis.
It mainly contains flavonoids such as hypericin, dodder glycosides, quercetin, etc., organic acids such as chlorogenic acid, etc., followed by a variety of trace elements and amino acids. It has the effects of sex hormone-like, anti-aging, improving kidney-yang deficiency, anti-osteoporosis, improving immunity, and anti-heart-cerebral ischemia.
Functions and indications:
Nourishes liver and kidney, consolidates sperm and reduces urine, relieves miscarriage, improves eyesight, and stops diarrhea.
For impotence and nocturnal emission, excess urine, enuresis, frequent urination, soreness and weakness of waist and knees, dizziness and tinnitus, kidney deficiency and fetal leakage, fetal movement restlessness, spleen and kidney deficiency diarrhea; external treatment of vitiligo.
Usage and dosage
6～12g; appropriate amount for external use.
Excerpt from “Chinese Pharmacopoeia”